Stinky Fruit Forces Canadian Plane to Land (Durian)

Stinky Fruit Forces Canadian Plane to Land

durian : stinky but delicious fruit


shipment ˈʃɪpmənt
Noun
:an amount of goods that are sent from one place to another

 -I need someone to find out why this week's shipment hasn't arrived.

cargo ˈkɑːrgoʊ
Noun
:the goods carried by a ship, plane, etc.

 -The cargo is still on the ship.

rotten ˈrɑːtn
Adjective
:(of food) having decayed

 -I think these eggs are rotten.

leak liːk
Noun
: a small hole through which gas or liquid may escape;
  liquid or gas that escapes through a hole

 -There is a leak in this pipe.

mechanical məˈkænɪkəl
Adjective
: operated by or relating to machines

He's good at fixing mechanical devices.



--------------

Stinky Fruit Forces Canadian Plane to Land


On September 17, an Air Canada Rouge flight made an emergency landing after a strong smell filled the plane. The smell was so bad that the pilots had to wear oxygen masks, according to news reports.

After returning to the airport in Montreal, the crew found that the smell was coming from a shipment of durian fruit in the plane's front cargo area.

The durian fruit, which comes from Southeast Asia, is known for its strong smell, which has been compared to rotten onions and vomit.

Unusual smells inside an airplane can mean that there's a serious problem. In March 2019, a United Airlines flight leaving Baltimore, Maryland, made an emergency landing in nearby Washington, DC, because of a bad smell, which may have been caused by a fuel leak.

Fortunately, the Air Canada flight didn't have any mechanical problems, and none of the 245 passengers or eight crew members were injured.

This is not the first time that durian have caused a flight to change plans. In November 2018, a shipment of about 2,000 kilograms of durian caused a Sriwijaya Air flight going to Jakarta to be delayed for an hour after passengers complained about the smell.

Some passengers refused to get on the plane, so the airline had the fruit removed. They also placed coffee powder and pandan leaves – sweet-smelling leaves used in many Southeast Asian dishes – inside the plane to make it smell better.



pandan leaves 


------------



1. What are your thoughts on this incident?

  • It sounds funny and  hilarious. I heard about 'durian'. it's really stinky and someone told it smells like fart! I never smelled yet, so I am curious. 

2. Is durian popular where you live? Please explain your answer.

  • No, we don't have. I think we can try it when we go to Thailand or... I don't well, actually. what ever southeast Asia countries, I guess. 


3. What would you say is the best-smelling food or drink? Why?

  • hmm.... it's tough question. because I don't well. maybe Chinese have something, because they have weird foods like...century egg. 


4. What are your favorite fruits? How often do you eat them?

  • I really like fruits. so I can't choose only one. well... apples, strawberries, graves, water melons, oranges, cherries, I can't name all of it! 


5. Have you ever been to Canada? 
   If so, what parts did you visit? If not, would you like to?

  • No, Not yet. But I'm interested in. because I heard Canada is the best place for living. so... If I have a chance to travel there, then I would like to go to ... couple of mountains, lakes... I don't know the name well. but I saw through the pictures. 


6. What do you find most annoying about air travel? Please explain your answer.
  • Yeh, I can say it. there's quite lot of uncomfortable things. like... lack of moisture, clean air, and I can't move my body well, during flight I should sit on my seat and just watch couple of movies or read book. It drives me crazy. 

7. What's the shortest flight you've ever been on? Please explain your answer.
  • The shortest flight was "Japanese". It took only 2 hours, I guess? Tokyo is near by Seoul. so it didn't take long. It was a pleasant travel. but also there was no food(meal). I was sorry about it. at least, please give me some sweets! 



8. Have you ever had a flight delayed or cancelled? If so, please share your experience. 

  • Yes, I have. It was... I'm not sure. but I was in Incheon airport of seoul. and... I was wait for airplane to go to Amsterdam. It was rough time to wait airplane when the time was over midnight. I am a.. kind of morning person. for me it was quite hard. and honestly, I don't want to use Netherlands' airline anymore. 


9. What's the longest you've ever spent at an airport? Please explain your answer.

  • maybe... 18 hours. I think it was that when I am going to barcelona or italy. because I should have drop by another city for saving my money. It's hard, but if it will be with turkey airline I think it's endurable.



10. How many airlines have you flown with? Which ones would you recommend?

  • Turkey airline! It was comfortable and they gave me a pouch including indoor slippers, toothpaste and toothbrush. I like it. and also their food was nice. usually I order low-calorie-meal. because I don't move my body often during flight, and I don't want to get weight.  




Quotes

1. Fruit is nature's candy. – Unknown. 
   What do you make of this statement?

  • yeah, I agree with him. especially bananas! 



2. The only thing I like about air travel is 
    it gives me time to read. – Jane Lindskold.
   What do you make of this statement?

  • well, I don't think so. I can see also sky... and talk with other people who came from foreign countries. well... I'm thinking about other reasons, but I can't think anymore. haha. well... he right. 





댓글

가장 많이 본 글