Homeless Opera singer Gets Record contract

free talk with teacher Daddo.


woozy
adjective   informal
UK  /ˈwuː.zi/ US  /ˈwuː.zi/

feeling weak or ill and unable to think clearly:
I was still woozy from flu/the anaesthetic/the medication/the wine.

agonizing
adjective (UK usually agonising)
UK  /ˈæɡ.ə.naɪ.zɪŋ/ US  /ˈæɡ.ə.naɪ.zɪŋ/

causing extreme physical or mental pain:
an agonizing death

causing extreme worry:
She went through an agonizing few weeks waiting for the test results.
We are faced with an agonizing choice/decision/dilemma.


fancy
verb
UK  /ˈfæn.si/ US  /ˈfæn.si/
fancy verb (LIKE)

B1 [ T ] UK
to want to have or do something:
Do you fancy a drink this evening?
[ + -ing verb ] I didn't fancy swimming in that water.

B2 [ T ] UK informal
to be sexually attracted to someone:
He could tell she fancied him.
fancy yourself UK disapproving

to think you are very attractive or important:
That Dave really fancies himself, doesn't he?

Do you fancy coming on a day trip to Bath next Saturday?
Do you fancy going out for a meal after work?
What shall we do foodwise - do you fancy going out to eat?
I thought he fancied me, but I'd completely misread the signals.
She knew he fancied her, but preferred to keep their relationship platonic.




-------




Vocabulary of Today's Article 



recording
Noun
rɪˈkɔːrdɪŋ
the process or business of storing music so that it can be listened to later
After playing in several clubs, the band rented a recording studio and started working on their first album.


struggle
Verb
ˈstrəgəl
to try very hard to do something difficult
the boy struggled hard to reach the top.
Nepal is struggling to recover from an earthquake.
The two players struggled with each other on the ice.

composer
kəmˈpoʊzər
a person who writes music

In my music history class, we are studying the most famous composers of the 19th century.
The composer of this symphony died when he was very young.
Claude Debussy is her favorite composer.
He's well-known both as a pianist and a composer.

raise
Verb
reɪz
to bring in or collect money
We need to raise cash to survive another year.
We are trying to raise *sufficient funds to start our own business.

*sufficient
adjective
UK  /səˈfɪʃ.ənt/ US  /səˈfɪʃ.ənt/

B2
enough for a particular purpose:
This recipe should be sufficient for five people.
It was thought that he'd committed the crime but there wasn't sufficient evidence to *convict him.

Opposite
insufficient

have had sufficient UK formal

to have eaten enough:
"Would you like some more stew?" "No thanks, I've had sufficient."

Will a loan of $500 be sufficient?
Did you have sufficient time to do the work?
I hope we have sufficient people to do the job.
If I buy two pounds of fish that should be sufficient for four people.
I'm not convinced we have sufficient funds to do this project.

*convict
verb [ T usually passive ]
UK  /kənˈvɪkt/ US  /kənˈvɪkt/

C2
to decide officially in a law court that someone is guilty of a crime:
He has twice been convicted of robbery/arson.

Opposites
acquit
clear
exculpate
exonerate


It was thought that he'd committed the crime but there wasn't sufficient evidence to convict him.
She was convicted of murdering her drunken and allegedly violent husband.
He was convicted of felony.
An Italian court convicted him in absentia for his terrorist activities.
If convicted, she could be jailed for five years for living off immoral earnings.

nominate
Verb
ˈnɑːməˌneɪt
to suggest someone for a prize, award, position, etc.
He was nominated for an academic award by his high school teacher.
She has been nominated for class president.


-------




Article : Homeless Opera Singer Gets Record Contract


Zamouka, who was Homeless Opera Singer 




A homeless woman who was filmed singing opera in a Los Angeles subway station has been offered a recording contract.

Emily Zamourka, 52, learned to sing and play the violin and piano in her home country, Russia. She moved to the US when see was 24 years old, and she used to teach music and play violin on the street.

But three years ago, her violin was stolen, and while it was returned, it had been damaged and could no longer be played.

Also sick and struggling to pay her medical bills, Zamourka was no longer able to pay rent and became homeless. But she started singing, and a police officer saw her in the station one day and asked if he could make a video of her.

The Los Angeles Police department posted the video on Twitter on September 26*,
and it has now been watched more than 1 million times. Zamouka became famous, and many people have decided to help her.
*pronounce: 26th

Because she was singing a song by the Italian compose Giacomo Puccini, she was invited to sing at a Little Italy celebration in San pedro, California, on October 5. Two GoFundMe pages for her have already raised more than $110,000 from over 3,000 people. And Grammy-nominated producer Joel Diamond has offered her a recording contract.


san pedro, california 


While Zamourka is happy for the help, She says people shouldn't have to wait until they discover that someone has a special skill to help them. "Everyone deserves a chance," she said.

There are almost 60,000 homeless people in Los Angeles, a city about of 4 million. In 2018, 24% of all homeless people in the US lived in California.



----

Discussion



-What are your thoughts on Emily Zamourka's story?

I thought It was like a movie story.
she had a hard time, but now she is happy and famous.
people helping her.


-Are there many street musicians in your town or city? If so, how often do you stop to listen to them?

Yes, there is. In seoul there is a city we call it 'hong-dae', and there is lots of artists and singers. they play instrument or sing a song, also couple of them dance. I guess I stop to listen them three times a year. 

-If you had a chance to meet Zamourka, what would you ask her?

No, I have no idea. I didn't hear her song yet.


-Are there a lot of homeless people in your town or city? Why do you think that is?

Yes, if I want to see homeless people than I just need to go seoul-station (train station)
Every time when I go to there, I can see homeless people.

-Do you find it surprising that there are almost 60,000 homeless people in Los Angeles? Why? Why not?

Yes, I did. but I envy them.. I know it might be sounds silly,
but I heard California has a nice weather. so I would go to there, but I don't wanna be homeless people ;)

-Have you ever been to an opera? If so, did you enjoy yourself? If not, why not?

No, I don' think so. but I experience musical couple of times.
it's different from Opera, right? but I have no clear idea about difference between them.

-Would you describe yourself as a good singer? Why? Why not?

hmm... yes, I would like to. at least I never had heard I am not good at sing from others.

-Which instrument do you think you'd find more difficult to learn, the violin or the piano? Why?

well.. for me it's a guitar.
Actually I tried to learn it few years ago, but I have failed.
I didn't want to let my fingertips to be hard. It couldn't avoidable.
So I dropped out. I know, it's silly, but I did.


-Do you have any special skills or talents? Please explain your answer.

well.... I think I have a special skills related to Languages and Music.
I heard both of them has common thing.
for example, I could learn Japanese faster than more than usual.
and I was always got a good score at Korean test, even when I didn't study it. 


-Who's the most talented person you know? Please describe them.

hmm.. it's tough question.
leonardo da vinci?

I heard he was good at painting, drawing, sculpting
and science, engineering,
architecture, even anatomy.


-------

Quotes

-Greatness is not what you have, it's what you give. – Unknown. What do you make of this statement?

?
No idea.
Is this mean that I can make greatness through my efforts?

-No one has ever become poor by giving. – Anne Frank. What are your thoughts on this statement?

I think It's a good idea. We can share stuffs or foods each other.
then world able to be better.






댓글

가장 많이 본 글