Indirect queistion : the way ask questions polietly


Indirect queistion, the way ask questions polietly 





Cf>
Direct question:
Does David live in London?

Indirect Question:
Can you tell me if David lives in London?

Sample> 
Do you know "where his office is?"
Do you have any idea "where my cat is?"
I would like to know how "fast I can" get to the station.
Could you show me "where the station is"?
He wants to know "where the theater is"
Do you happen to know when the train arrives?
Do you know "if they will be able to go hiking next week?"
Do you know "if it would be possible to move the date of the interview"?


How do we form indirect questions?

there is five ways to make it.

1.  be V : switch S and V
 Do you know what time <it is>?

2.  with do/does/did : just remove do/does/did and don't switch SV
  *If you remove 'does', you should add 's' to the main verb.
   also if you remove 'did', you should change main verb to the past tense.

Do you know where they live?
Do you know where she lives?
Do you know where she lived?

3. with other helping verbs: switch the S and helping V
Do you know where <I can> find that book?

4. with a question word subject : (ex:who, what, what time) word order does not change
Do you know who runs fastest?

5. with yes-no questions: use 'if' after the question marks -> change the verb appropriately
Do you know if she studied for the exam?


Exercise 3 Find the Mistakes

Do you know where does she live?  →
Do you know where she lives? / Could you tell me where she lives?

Do you know how does it feel to go through a divorce? →
Do you know how it feels to go through a divorce?
 / Would you know how it feels to go through a divorce?

Can you tell me is there a bank here? →
 Can you tell if there is a bank here?

Can you tell me where can I find a supermarket? → 
Could you tell me where I can find a supermarket?

I'd like to know will it rain this afternoon. → 
I'd like to know if it will rain this afternoon.

I'd like to know are they interested in buying our company →
  I'd like to know if they are interested in buying our comapny.



Exercise4 sentence Building 

Indirect Question Phrases
Do you know...? →  Do you know where is the London eye?
Can/Could you tell me...? Could you tell me where is a nearest restaurants?
Can/Could you show me...? → can you show me the way to go to central station through the google map?
I'd like to know.... →  I'd like to know where is the Buckingham Palace
*Do you happen to know - ? → Do you happen to know when Prince Harry married?
Is it possible that you have information about something?

Things to Ask About (self study) 
where, the nearest station → Do you know where is the nearest station?
how, get to Big Ben → Could you tell me how can I get to Big ben.
when, the next train →  Would you know when is the train?
how, ride the bus → Do you know how can I ride the bus?
how, buy a bus ticket → I'd like to know how can I buy a bus tiket?
where, eat fish and chips → Do you know where can I eat fish and chips.
where, nice pub nearby → I'd like to know where is nice pub nearby?
where, the Globe Theatre → Can you show me where is the Globe Theatre?


댓글

가장 많이 본 글