idioms : Straight from the horse's mouth, A bitter pill, Draw a line, Off One's Rocker



Vocabulary 





1. Straight from the horse's mouth 
   /streɪt frəm ðə ˈhɔrsəz maʊθ/
Receiving information directly from the source

I heard it straight from the house's mouth : Julia is pregnant.
I'm telling the truth! I heard it straight from the horse's mouth.
Sally has a new boyfriend! I heard that straight from the horse's mouth, so it's true!

+ sentence building
You should trust me! This is not just rumor. I heard it straight from the horse's mouth!

2. a bitter pill to swallow 
/ə ˈbɪtər pɪl tə ˈswɑːloʊ/
something unpleasant that is difficult to accept

Moving to another city was a bitter pill; however, I was happy to get money.
Losing that result was a bitter pill for him to swallow.
Losing all my friends was a bitter pill to swallow.
Our break-up was bitter pillow to swallow for me. I'm still trying to get over it.

+ sentence building
It was bitter pill to swallow for me to leave my hometown to go to the harvard university.


3.Draw a line 
/drɔ ə laɪn/
to distinguish between two things

You have to draw a line between your work and your personal life.
He needs to draw a line between what is truly important and what is not.
Sometimes people need to draw a line between what is real and what is fiction.
The research helped scientists draw a line between two swan species.

+ sentence building
You should draw a line between your ideas and others one.
If you do not, you can't figure out what is really you want.


4. off (one's) rocker
/ɔf wʌnz ˈrɑkər/
Crazy or insane

Have you gone completely off your rocker? You can't stay that in public!
She must be off her rocker, wearing flip-flops in winter!
I'm probably off my rocker. I thought I just saw a huge dog, but it was just a pile of garbage.

+ sentence building
I think that time I was off my rocker, I can't believe how could I do such a thing.









댓글

가장 많이 본 글