English Grammar : Neither / Either / so

Neither / Either / so


Either 

when You also do not perform a certain action,
put either at the end of the sentence.

Neither 

In a negative sense to show that you feel the same as the other person,
or say that you also do not perform a certain action.
place neither before a helping verb.   






sentence example 

I don't like eating milk, and I don't like candy either.
I don't go to restaurant very often, and neither does my wife.
I often go to the movies, and so does my brother.


conversation example 

1. 
I don't often go to the restaurant
I don't either. / neither do I 

2.
John isn't planning anything for his birthday.
His friends aren't either. / neither are his friends.

3.
My father has been working at this company for years.
So has mine. 

4.
I will take driving lessons.
So will they.

5.
I'm going to a party tonight.
So am I.

6.
I don't like coffee with sugar.
Neither do I. / I don't like either. 

7.
I haven't watched this movie in 2 years.
Neither have I. / I haven't either.

8.
I'm not going to a party tonight.
Neither am I. / I am not going either. 

9.
My mother 'wasn't' worried when I went to college. 
Neither was mine. / My mother wasn't worried either.

>Rephrasing sentences 

Rephrase the bold sentences using 'so' or 'neither'.

ex) She is happy with her life. He is happy too. → "So is he."
Her husband is a doctor. Her brother is a doctor too. 
→  So is her brother. 

She didn't report to work today. She didn't take any calls either. 
→ neither she does take any calls. (x) neither did she take any calls (o) 

He slept well last night. His wife did too. 
→ So did his wife. 

Tyra is aiming for first place, and Mary is too. 
→ So is Mary.

John isn't planning anything for his birthday, and his friends aren't either. 
→ Neither are his friends.

Grace can't sleep. Butch can't sleep either. 
→ Neither Butch can (x) Neither can Butch (o)




Sentence Building

Agree with the following statements by using too, either, so, and neither.
ex) "I love cats." → "So do I!"

"I don't like dogs." → neither do I
"I prefer Italian food over Spanish food." → Me too
"I prefer reading books to watching movies." → so am I
"I work out everyday. " → so do I 
"I don't really exercise." →  Neither do I
"I'm a tidy person." → so am I
"I'm not a very tidy person." → Neither am I
"I can go for days without sleep." → Me too / So can I 
"I can't live without good food."  → Neither can I / I can't either 









댓글

가장 많이 본 글