Prepositions of Place : Into, Across, Inside/Outside, Beside/Next to


Into, Across, Inside/Outside, Beside/Next to






Into
Use the preposition 'into' to talk about movement from the outside to the inside of something:

Across
Use the preposition across to talk about:
1. things that go from one side to another:
2. things that are on the other side of something:

Inside
Inside is like 'in', but more specific to enclosed spaces (= a space with sides, walls, a ceiling):
We do not say that someone is inside a country/a forest/a park, because these places are usually not physically enclosed. We say in a country/a forest/a park.

Outside
Use the preposition outside to talk about people/things/animals that are not inside something:

Beside, Next to
Use the preposition beside or next to to talk about someone/something that is very close to someone/something else:


Practice
Multiple choice.

1. I parked ____ this builing.
1) behind
2) beside
3) across

I parked behind this building
I parked beside this building
but I can't say I parked across this building.
It meas I crused building and parked.
(According to Teacher Rich)



2. I drove ___ the United States.
1) behind
2) beside
3) across

I drove across the United States.


3. The weather is nice today. Let's sit ___ the cafe.
1) Inside
2) outside

The weather is nice today. Let's sit outside the cafe. *but we can use also inside, If we want to express Sarcastic
4. It's cold today. Let's stay ___ the restaurant.
1) inside
2) outside

It's cold today. Let's stay inside the restaurant.

5. My office is ___ the supermarket.
1) beside
2) between

My office is beside the supermarket.

6. I am free ___ the hours of 2pm and 4pm.
1) beside
2) between

I am free between the hours of 2pm and 4pm.


7. The teacher sat ___ the two students.
1) beside
2) between

The teacher sat beside the two students.
The teacher sat between the two studetns.




댓글

가장 많이 본 글